I wanted to write my ideas down about Scrum Events from Scrum Values perspective.
This article is also going to be the first article of Scrum Events — Scrum Values Perspective series :)
Let’s remember some basics of Scrum, based on Scrum Guide 2020 :)
What is Scrum?
Scrum is a lightweight framework that helps people, teams, and organizations generate value through adaptive solutions for complex problems.
Scrum theory is based on 3 pillars: Transparency, Inspection, and Adaptation.
We try to create transparency with the work we do, and this transparency provides us an environment to inspect and adapt our mistakes and make them better.
Successful use of Scrum depends on people becoming more proficient in living five values: Commitment, Focus, Openness, Respect, and Courage.
The purpose of the Daily Scrum is to inspect progress toward the Sprint Goal and adapt the Sprint Backlog as necessary, adjusting the upcoming planned work.
- The Daily Scrum is a 15-minute event for the Developers of the Scrum Team. To reduce complexity, it is held at the same time and place every working day of the Sprint. If the Product Owner or Scrum Master are actively working on items in the Sprint Backlog, they participate as Developers.
- The Developers can select whatever structure and techniques they want, as long as their Daily Scrum focuses on progress toward the Sprint Goal and produces an actionable plan for the next day of work. This creates focus and improves self-management.
- Daily Scrums improve communications, identify impediments, promote quick decision-making, and consequently eliminate the need for other meetings.
- The Daily Scrum is not the only time Developers are allowed to adjust their plan. They often meet throughout the day for more detailed discussions about adapting or re-planning the rest of Sprint’s work.
Daily Scrum from Scrum Values Perspective:
All Scrum events and artifacts are based on 5 Scrum Values.
If we execute Scrum in a good way, people become more proficient in living five Scrum Values.
I will try to evaluate Daily Scrum event from Scrum Values perspective:
- As a Scrum Team, by Daily Scrum, we commit that we will be there in the same place at the same time every day, and make the daily plan to complete the Sprint Goal.
- This commitment is supported by the other 4 Scrum values as well.
- Daily Scrum makes the Scrum Team focus on the goal that team’s crafted in the Sprint Planning.
- We don’t need another kind of meeting or time to talk about the plan again and again (unless there is a need).
- We make the daily plan during Daily Scrum and adapt the plan according to that if it’s needed.
- Daily Scrum is really important to have a transparent environment.
- Daily Scrum is one of the feedback loops that Scrum Team inspects and adapts the plan so everyone has to be open and this leads to transparency as well.
- As Scrum Team, we need to see the progress of the work and make the plan according to that.
- As a Scrum Team, we are the people to get the next increment done and we don’t need someone else from outside of the team.
- While working for the increment -during the sprint- we face difficulties and we keep up together, discuss the solution and solve it.
- We respect each other’s skills, professions, ideas, and solutions.
- Daily Scrum meeting is one of the periods of time that we realize any impediments or difficulties so we do it by respect each other.
- We use the time of the Daily Scrum wisely, respect each other to communicate with the team.
- We have courage as a Scrum Team, we try new things, we see the results, and we inspect and adapt the progress and move forward.
- We don’t hide anything during the Daily Scrum. We have the courage to say any impediments that are preventing us to complete the Sprint Goal.
Links that enlighten me :)
Scrum Guide | Scrum Guides
This HTML version of the Scrum Guide is a direct port of the November 2020 version available as a PDF here. We…